Here are some tips for saving energy and money this summer.
1. Draw your blinds or curtains to block the heat of direct sunlight
2. Set your thermostat as high as your personal comfort level will allow
3. Open windows during cool evenings with low humidity
4. Don't generate heat in the kitchen. Grill out
5. Use heat-producing appliances the cooler evening hours i.e. washer, dryer, dishwasher etc.
6. Turn off lights when not in use. When you leave a room, turn off the light
7. Replace incandescent lightbulbs with compact fluorescents
8. Insulate, ventilate and weatherize your home.
9. If you need a new central air conditioner, shop for an energy-efficient AC or electric heat pump. Just as a hybrid car works with both electricity and gasoline to give you more miles per gallon, a hybrid home has an electric add-on heat pump working with your gas furnace to save you energy and money.