Driving on Ice... A Scary Experience

Well, we’ve had our first sleet, ice and snow storm in Omaha, NE…..my home town. It is really a mess this morning…..if you’ve never had the misfortune of trying to drive on an icy street, you wouldn’t want to start with this one. Without tire chains, you are absolutely helpless…you can’t stop, you can’t control your car and you hang on to the steering wheel for dear life praying that you’ll slow down before sliding into the busy intersection at the bottom of the hill.

We live on a slope, not exactly a ski-jump downhill plunge, but it does cause problems. I backed out of my driveway this morning to take the grandkids (who had spent the night) to school and we all went sliding sideways down the street. Just backed out and slowly began sliding. Luckily there were no cars parked on the street and no one was coming up because I had absolutely no control over the car.
When I was a kid I remember my dad putting on tire chains at the first flake of snow. But nowadays with “snow tires” people don’t think they are necessary….WRONG….you need those big gutsy dudes to drive on ice….they grab onto the ice like Velcro and you plow right through, snowdrifts and all.
And tire chains are not hard to put on…my husband’s job of course.